Available for Federal & Provincial Employers/Employees
Those in attendance will learn:
- What is an Employment Contract?
- What is NOT an Employment Contract?
- What are the required elements of an Employment Contract?
- Is there an intention to be legally bound?
- Is the Employment Contract valid?
- E.g. If the contract is signed after the Employee has started working, the Employment Contract is null and void.
- E.g. If an existing Employee has signed a new Employment contract, but has not been provided with additional consideration (e.g. raise/additional vacation days) the Employment Contract is null and void.
- In Wilson v Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd, 2016 CarswellNat 988 (SCC), the Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that:
- Federal Employers cannot terminate an Employee who has completed twelve (12) consecutive months of continuous employment without alleging just cause.
- The ONLY way to terminate an Employee for just cause is by applying progressive discipline.
Who should attend this Seminar?
- Management Team; and Individuals in Supervisory Positions.