As an employer, it is very likely that at some point you may need to apply progressive discipline if inappropriate behaviour is exhibited by an employee within the workplace. If you are federally regulated, it is imperative that progressive discipline is applied properly, and be documented, to be able to dismiss an employee. Progressive discipline is the process of applying disciplinary measures of increasing severity that is proportional to the misconduct of the employee in an effort to provide the employee with a reasonable chance to correct the inappropriate behaviour.
- Applies to both Federal and Provincial Employers
- Notes the problem with ignoring or only providing verbal warnings for inappropriate behaviour
- Explains how to properly apply progressive discipline
- States and addresses the importance that the employee understands that their employment is at risk
- Addresses when an employer has grounds to terminate after applying progressive discipline
- For Federal Employers, where the employee has worked for more than 12 months, it is the main way that an Employer can establish a termination for cause claim
- Offered in-person and online either live over Zoom or Microsoft Teams or via self-paced modules