Stunt Driving - (705) 268-6492
1. Highway Traffic Act
Section 172(1) of the Highway Traffic Act reads stunt driving occurs when an individual drives a vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager.
Penalties for stunt driving include:
- A. An immediate seizure of the vehicle involved for 7 days,
- B. An immediate drivers licence suspension for 7 days;
- C. A fine between $2,000 - $10,000,
- D. A term or imprisonment for not more than 6 months,
- E. BOTH a fine and a term of imprisonment,
- F. Possible drivers licence suspension for up to 2 years (for a first conviction) or,
- G. Possible drivers licence suspension for up to 10 years (for a subsequent conviction).
Examples of stunt driving include:
- A. Burn outs,
- B. Drifting,
- C. Donuts,
- D. Occupying a passing lane for longer than is necessary, or
- E. Exceeding 50km/h of the speed limit.
3. Demerit Points and Insurance
If you are convicted of stunt driving, you will lose six demerit points, and your insurance rates will likely skyrocket.
4. At Trial:
The Crown has the burden of proving ONE of the following factors:
- 1. The driver drove without due care and attention, or
- 2. The driver drove without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway, or
- 3. The driver drove in a manner that may endanger any person.
The Defendant on the other hand has to show that they took all reasonable care to avoid committing the offence. To prove this, the Defendant will rely on conditions surrounding the event. For example, the defendant could argue that the road conditions caused him/her to drive in a manner that is considered to be stunt driving.
5. Your File:
Katherine Armstrong a lawyer with the office of Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation will review your case and will provide you with a legal opinion. If you choose to defend the charge, she will advocate for you to the best of her ability. That may mean going to trial or having the charge reduced to a lesser offence. You may reach Katherine at 705-268-6492