Landlord and Tenant Issues

Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation is pleased to offer legal services to both landlords and tenants. We understand that not every rental situation is ideal, and sometimes problems crop up that need legal guidance. Whether you are leasing your property or living in a rented home, we have professional and specialized legal support that you can rely on.

Contact our office to schedule a consultation today. We offer our services in English and French. We look forward to protecting your rights and representing your interests.

Call Now!

About image

Understanding the Importance of Rental Law

In this modern-day, more and more people are choosing to live in rented housing. In a competitive property market, renting offers a more affordable, short-term housing solution in both urban and rural centers. As the property owner, the landlord is responsible for maintaining the property and collecting rent and other payment from the tenants. The tenants are responsible for paying their rent to the landlord. Both the tenant and landlord have rights that should not be overlooked.

Our legal team is intimately familiar with residential tenancy law in Ontario. From rent increases to vacancy decontrol, we can provide counsel and assistance with comprehensive landlord and tenant matters.

If you feel that your contract has been breached or your rights have been infringed upon, contact our legal team. We can provide you with the information and support you need.

Legal Services for Tenants

There are many situations in which a tenant or a renter may wish to hire legal aid. Some of the most common circumstances are as follows.

Unfair Eviction

Landlords cannot kick a tenant out onto the streets without a warranted reason. They must follow eviction procedures laid out by state and local laws. If your landlord is trying to evict you by locking you out, removing your belongings, or canceling your utilities, it could be hard to know where to turn, but Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation is here to help.


If you believe that your landlord is discriminating against you based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation, you have a right to protect yourself. Our lawyers are here to support you.

Not Fulfilling Promises

Renters rely on their landlord to keep the building clean and safe. Suppose the landlord is not making necessary repairs, not fulfilling promises, or their negligence has caused harm or injury to you or your belongings, you may want to consider hiring a lawyer.

Legal Support for Landlords

As a landlord, you are putting a certain amount of trust in the people that you rent to, but you don’t have to depend on trust alone. Like tenants, landlords are also protected by legal rights, and Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation is happy to offer guidance.

You may consider hiring a lawyer if:

  • You are having a problem evicting a tenant legally
  • If the tenant fails to pay rent
  • If your tenants are suing you for discrimination or negligence
  • If your tenants have caused significant and costly property damage
  • If you are being audited

Our attorneys will work hard to represent your interests and fight for you in court if necessary.

Landlord and Tenant Attorney with 39 Years of Experience

With over 39 years of combined experience, Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation has built a reputation as leaders in landlord and tenant issues. Our practice was founded on honesty and integrity, something we have upheld throughout our years in operation. During our time as a firm, we have had the opportunity to represent individuals from all walks of life and build a strong relationship with the local aboriginal community including First Nations. We are proud to have a dedicated and hardworking staff ready to help you deal with any rental dispute.

Whether you are a tenant or a property owner, you can trust that we will help you settle your issue swiftly and effectively. If you have a landlord and tenant dispute that you need to be resolved, contact us at (705) 268-6492 to schedule an in person or virtual meeting today.

Call us Today!

A Full-Service Apartment Lawyer

At Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation, we are proud to provide a comprehensive offering of legal services for both tenants and landlords. We are knowledgeable in all aspects of rental law, so you can always have faith in us to provide dependable legal advice. What's more, we back it up with a complete offering of additional benefits that make us the smart choice for all of your apartment issues. When you hire us, you will always receive:

  • In-depth consultations
  • Affordable rates
  • Vigilant representation
  • Professional staff
  • And more

These are just some of the ways that we strive to provide the most valuable legal service for both landlords and tenants. Whether it is helping with an eviction or simply learning more about your rights as a landlord, contact us today for prompt and professional service.

Effective Apartment Lawyers

Client-Focused Consultations

At Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation, we offer a client-focused approach to helping you with landlord-tenant disputes. From the onset, our consultations will put you at ease and help build a strategy to get you the results you want. Whether you need help with an eviction or would like to know more about tenant rights, we are here to provide trustworthy information and advice that you can depend on in court. Our emphasis on the client also means that we take the time to get to know you and your unique situation. We are not just trying to find a fast solution—we are committed to finding the best results for your case.

The Legal Advice You Need at Great Rates

Whether you are a tenant or a landlord, dealing with legal issues regarding your apartment should not affect your livelihood. That is why we are proud to be a tenant and landlord attorney that always provides our professional services at affordable prices. Our upfront and trustworthy pricing allows you to bring a resolution to your situation without creating new problems. At Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation, we are passionate about and tenants' rights and landlord rights, so you can always count on us to go above and beyond to get you what you deserve without breaking the bank.Everyone needs legal advice from time to time. With our rates, we ensure that those who need it can access it.

Cost-saving Benefits in Store

We promise more than manageable upfront costs for legal advice. Our expertise will also surely save you money in the long-run, too. When you know how to navigate landlord-tenant disputes, you save yourself from making costly mistakes that compromise the welfare of yourself and other involved parties.

Rental Attorneys with Integrity

Our knowledgeable staff are happy to offer compassionate advice to help guide you through all types of landlord-tenant disputes. Our knowledge means that you can trust us to provide you with the best solution possible. We are also well-versed and comfortable in dealing with the Landlord and Tenant board and are happy to represent you to them.

We understand that these cases can be stressful for both tenants and landlords, so come in for a consultation today and put your mind at ease.

Trustworthy Information on Landlord and Tenant Law

Even if you are not currently going through an issue with a rental property, our passionate legal team is available to consult with you to make sure you understand your rights. As a landlord, you have a large number of things to stay on top of, which means you do not always have the time to study the complexities of rental law. This subject can be a difficult field to understand fully, but we are proud to offer accurate and dependable advice to help you properly manage your property and deal with any disputes that arise. Even if you just want to consult with a lawyer to get a better understanding of how to deal with any issues that might come up, we are happy to oblige.

Leaders in Landlord-Tenant Disputes

We understand how big of an impact a rental disagreement can have on an individual. For landlords, it can affect your livelihood, and for tenants, it can be extremely stressful to deal with disputes regarding the place you call home. This is why our team of esteemed lawyers are here to make sure everything regarding your case is completed efficiently and correctly. From filing paperwork to our vigilant interpretation of the law, we ensure every step of your case is executed with care and precision.

Apartment Lawyers with a History of Success

When you work with Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation, you can rest easy knowing you have a vigilant team of lawyers representing you. We have an excellent track record of successful trials and getting our clients what they deserve. Put your trust in a staff with the experience and the consistency you need to get the best outcome.

Compassionate Rental Attorneys

Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation prides ourselves in our unique approach to legal issues. Our satisfaction comes not just from getting you the results you want but also making sure you are comforted at every stage of your case. The attention and care we place on every case do not stop at the verdict. We offer follow-ups and additional information to make sure that you understand everything about the case, and all the loose ends are tied up. We are happy to help with appeals and offer you further advice to make sure that your eviction or other tenant issues can be put behind you.

Landlord and Renters Rights

Before signing any legally binding contract such as a lease, it is important to know what you agree to. In the province of Ontario, the laws governing interactions between landlords and tenants are defined in the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA), and disputes are settled by the Landlord and Tenant Board.

The average person is not typically well versed in these regulations, but having a proper understanding of your rights can help you avoid being taken advantage of or wronged for the duration of your lease agreement.

Keeping this in mind, we would like to go over some of the things you are entitled to as a landlord or tenant. If you would like more information or believe that it might be time to seek legal aid for your situation, we encourage you to get in touch with us.

Are You a Renter?

One thing that you should make a note of is whether or not you are covered by the RTA. The act applies to most private residential rental units, including those in single and semi-detached houses, apartments and condominiums, and secondary units (basement apartments). Some of the types of rentals that are not covered include university and college dorms and commercial properties.

Eviction Exceptions

There are rules in place to protect tenants from wrongful evictions. Most of the time, evictions will occur when the tenant has not kept up on their end of the lease agreement, but that is not always the case. There are a few situations where a landlord will be legally permitted to evict a tenant by no fault of their own. As a landlord, it is still important to make sure that these situations are handled appropriately and in accordance with the law.

  • Evictions for personal use: If you are a landlord who would like to use a rental unit for yourself or a family member, or if you are selling the property and the new owner will be using the unit themselves, it is within your rights to evict the current tenant. That being said, you must also pay them the equivalent of one month's rent or offer them another unit.
  • Renovictions: If you plan to renovate, repair, or demolish your rental property, it is permissible to evict a tenant for the duration of the work. If you do so, the tenant must be compensated and offered the right of first refusal to move back into the unit after the renovations.

Rent Increases

There are three main guidelines when it comes to rent increases that should be followed to avoid tenant and landlord disputes. Firstly, the rent may not be increased within the first 12 months of the tenancy, and after that, any increases must be at least 12 months apart. Second, the landlord must provide a written notice at least 90 days before a rent increase. Finally, the rent increase must not exceed the maximum amount set by the provincial government in August of each year. Following these guidelines will help ensure a pleasant experience for both parties and prevent you from needing to seek landlord and tenant help.

Legal Services for Landlords

Landlords often have to juggle many different roles and tasks. Amid all the bustle of aiding tenants and showing properties to prospective rentals, landlords may find themselves with little time to familiarize themselves with their rights. In times like those, our legal experts are a much-needed resource for new and seasoned landlords alike

Having an issue with a troublesome renter and want to know what your options are? We can assist with a variety of problems that may arise for landlords and make sure they are dealt with appropriately. Our qualified landlord attorneys can help with things such as eviction and rent increases, as well as reviewing your leases to make sure they are in line with the law. As a landlord, you have a lot of different things to keep track of. Let us help you stay on top of it with our comprehensive legal services for landlords.

Assistance with Evictions

There comes a time when every landlord has to deal with an unruly tenant. The tenant may continually fail to pay rent or violate the terms of their rental agreement. No matter the case, situations such as these are grounds for eviction.

That said, there is more to evicting a tenant than simply asking them to vacate the premises. Landlords are required to abide by state and local laws when evicting the tenant. In doing so, the tenant has sufficient notice of their eviction, allowing them to vacate the premises in a reasonable time frame.

If you are having issues with an unruly client failing to pay rent or infringing on the terms of your lease, our rental lawyers can help to ensure it is in your right to evict the tenant. Eviction can be a complicated issue. That being said, our attorneys are well versed in landlord and tenants' rights to help you make sure you are acting within your rights. Our lawyers can assist you at all stages of the process, such as providing an appropriate eviction notice, and ensure that you do everything by the books to avoid further legal issues.

In Ontario, there are multiple valid types of evictions. They are:

  • Late payment of rent
  • Damage, substantial interference, impairing safety, or overcrowding
  • Misrepresentation of income
  • Illegal act
  • Persistent late payment
  • Landlord's or Purchaser's own use
  • Demolition or conversion

If you have questions concerning your rights as a landlord to evict a tenant or assistance with any stage of the eviction process, please contact our office.

Navigating the Eviction Process

No landlord looks forward to the day they provide a tenant with an eviction notice. In some cases, however, eviction is a necessary step to restoring order and protecting oneself from financial loss. We can provide advice that will make the eviction process as smooth and code-compliant as possible. With the aid of our legal experts, you will feel justified and confident in your decision to follow through with the eviction.

Eviction is a multi-step process that requires patience and planning. To evict a tenant, a landlord must:

1. Provide an Eviction Notice.

The RTA stipulates that a landlord must provide the tenant with an official notice to end tenancy. After the official notice has been received by the tenant, specific waiting periods apply. Please note, your notice is not the equivalent of an eviction, and it does not require the tenant to move out. The notice is a means to inform the tenant of your intent to file an eviction application. Therefore, if you, as the landlord, wish your tenant to vacate in the shortest time frame possible, it's crucial to prepare, draft, and deliver notice to leave that respects the RTA's requirements. Our lawyers will help you ensure that your notice complies with all legal obligations.

2. Complete an application to the Landlord and Tenant Board.

In addition to notifying the tenant, you must file an eviction application with the Landlord and Tenant Board. In turn, the LTB will correspond with the tenant and set a hearing date, time, and location. Our firm will help you fully complete and submit your eviction application to ensure an expedient eviction process.

3. Attend the eviction hearing and present evidence for legitimate eviction.

Finally, you must attend the eviction hearing and present your case. It's essential to bring evidence of key details in your interactions with the tenant. For instance, we recommend showcasing documentation of your attempts to resolve problems, photos of property damage (if applicable), and proof of notice delivery. If the Board deems your evidence satisfactory, they will issue an eviction order.

The tenant has the right to request the Board to review and appeal the hearing's outcome within 30 days. However, a tenant appeal is an uncommon occurrence.

Legal Services for Tenants

When you sign a lease, you are entering into a contractual agreement with your landlord. There are terms to this agreement that both parties must comply with. Many tenants, however, are unsure what their rights are. They do not know what their landlords are required to do by law, and they don’t know whether or not they’re responsible for apartment repairs.

If you are having trouble with a difficult or absent landlord and do not know where to turn, Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation can help. We are well versed in all aspects of rental law and tenants' rights, so you can always count on us for dependable representation. From making sure your property has the appropriate repairs to your options for subletting, we can help with any legal issues you may have as a tenant.

With the help of our legal experts, you can shed light on your rights as a tenant. We will review your lease agreement, offer our expert insights, and so much more. All you have to do is contact us when you’re in need.

Have You Been Wrongfully Evicted? We Can Help

Did you wake up to find an eviction notice in your mail slot? Were you surprised by the notice of eviction? Do you suspect that your landlord is in the wrong? If you want a professional to assess the situation before you progress, we invite you to contact us.

If you believe you have been the victim of wrongful eviction, put your trust in our professional attorneys for trustworthy and accurate advice on how to proceed. We help you understand your renters' rights and determine if your landlord had the authority to remove you from your home.

To be legally evicted, your landlord must follow a detailed list of actions, including providing you with a notice of eviction, and complying with the proper waiting periods before filing for an eviction application. At any point before an official order of eviction has been given by the Landlord and Tenant Board, a landlord cannot change the locks or perform any other actions that prevent you from accessing the residence. You are not legally obligated to move out until the LTB has granted the landlord’s eviction application. If you believe you have been wrongfully given notice of eviction or your landlord has infringed upon your rights during the eviction process, we can help.

Being kicked out of your apartment can be a stressful and confusing time—you may be unsure of where to turn and feel like you have no options. Luckily, Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation is a proud team of attorneys with a comprehensive knowledge of rental law and a commitment to excellence. If we believe your tenants' rights were infringed upon, we will stop at nothing to bring you justice.

Landlords cannot evict a tenant without sufficient grounds to do so. They’re obligated to follow the procedures set forth by local lawmakers. That said, there are some situations where both parties might feel the other is in the wrong. In murky situations such as those, we are here to help.

Landlord and Tenant Rights

At Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation, we can assist both Landlords and Tenants in obtaining the results they want. We can ensure that you are sending out the proper notices while adhering to the Residential Tenancies Act. We can also represent you at the Landlord and Tenant Board.

We can assist LANDLORDS and TENANTS in the following areas:

  • Eviction
  • Enforcing rights related to property standards, such as housing repairs
  • Illegal Acts
  • Landlord and Tenant Board disputes
  • Rent Increases
  • Persistent Late Payment of Rent
  • Demolition
  • Conversions
  • Subletting
  • Leases
  • Mediation
  • Assistance understanding your rights under the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA)
  • Human Rights claims
  • Rental Arrears and
  • All other legal matters relating to Landlord & Tenant Law


As of September 1, 2017, the Ontario government has introduced new requirements for Landlords under the "Rental Fairness Act."

In order for the landlord to evict a tenant so that they or a family member can live in the rental unit:

  1. the landlord or family member must intend to live in the unit for at least one year and
  2. the landlord must compensate the tenant for one month's rent or offer the tenant another acceptable unit

If the landlord advertises the rental unit for rent less than one year after the tenant vacates the unit, there is an inference of bad faith and the tenant may apply to the Landlord Tenant Board within a year of moving out of that unit for:

  1. all or a portion of any increased rent incurred for a one-year period after vacating the rental unit
  2. reasonable out-of-pocket expenses including moving, storage, and other expenses
  3. abatement of rent and
  4. an administrative fine for up to $25,000.00

Call Us Today for Comprehensive Legal Service

Whether you are a tenant or a landlord, Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation is your source for dependable legal advice and representation. We are up to date on all aspects of rental law, so you can always count on us to provide helpful and trustworthy information.

Contact Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation at (705) 268-6492 or online to find out more about how we can assist you.

Call us Today