CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Those in attendance will learn:
- What is a conflict of interest?
- What is a pecuniary interest?
- What is indirect pecuniary interest?
- What is a non-pecuniary interest?
- What should you do when you think that you have a conflict of interest?
- If a fellow Director has a conflict of interest, how should you approach him/her?
- How should you respond when you are asked about whether or not you have a conflict of interest?
- Why is it important to avoid conflicts of interest?
Some Additional Information:
- A conflict of interest occurs when a Director’s personal interests, or the interests of a family member, friend, or fellow Director may or may not appear to be in conflict with their role on the Board of Directors.
- Conflicts of interest can pose significant challenges to many Metis Nation, as it is not unusual for a decision of the President and Council to potentially impact a family member or friend.
- IF you are ever unsure as to whether or not you have a conflict of interest, seek legal advice immediately. The alternative could be very costly and time consuming.