Our Firm - (705) 268-6492
Founded in 1984, our firm offers over 34 years of experience working in Timmins and surrounding communities, with clients of varied backgrounds.
We offer services in both French and English. In fact, Suzanne Desrosiers was the first Ontario Lawyer with a common law degree completely in French. Suzanne has enjoyed a very successful and satisfying career. Within the first 6 months of opening her practice she was representing a major developer in the City of Timmins who was building between 75 and 100 homes a year. The work included drafting building contracts of all kinds from stick-built to prefabricated homes, the sale of leasehold parcels (where you sell the building and retain the land), which was unique in Ontario in the 1980s, and continues to be an unusual way of disposing of property. Suzanne represented that developer for some 15 years.
Another important part of Suzanne's practice is Corporate Commercial Law which includes negotiating complex share and asset purchase agreements for the sales and purchases of a number of businesses. With the purchase and sale of businesses, there's an aspect of Employment Law which must be addressed. Employees of a business that is being sold will either continue to work for the business or in the alternative they will need to be terminated prior to the sale of the business. There are numerous statutes that a lawyer must be familiar with when dealing in Employer-Employee relations. Suzanne is familiar with the applicable statutes and her attention to detail encouraged her to expand her practice to include Employment Law in the late 1990's.
Sometimes Employers take steps such as disciplining or terminating an Employee without realizing that they may be infringing on an Employee's rights and violating the Employment Standards Act 2000 and the Human Rights legislation. These actions often result in either costly litigation or settlement that can at times put the financial viability of the business in question. To assist Employers, Suzanne provides hands-on training workshops to educate Employers on these topics.
Our Firm’s Areas of Practice Include:
- Employment Law for both Provincially and Federally governed Employers such as First Nations
- Wrongful and Constructive Dismissal for non-unionized Employees
- Workplace Investigations for just cause terminations, human rights complaints, harassment complaints and policy violations
- Corporate Commercial Law (from incorporation to buying and selling a business by way of an asset or share purchase or a share purchase including financing)
- Real Estate (residential, commercial, industrial, freehold parcels and leasehold parcels)
- Contract Law
- Estate Law (from drafting wills and powers of attorney to the probate of the will following the death of the Testator)
- Limited general litigation
- Criminal Law
- Traffic Violations/Provincial Offences
- Small Claims Court
- IAP claims for Residential School Survivors
- Human Rights Claims
- HR/Human Resources Training/ Courses
- Board governance training
- Drafting and Review of Human Resources Policies
We also provide a variety of HANDS ON training seminars, in person to both federally and provincially governed Employers. Some of the workshops that are available at this time are:
- Human Rights Sensitivity Training Seminar;
- Workplace Investigation Training Seminar;
- Training on the Steps to ensure the validity of an Employment Contract;
- Steps for effective progressive discipline in the workplace;
- Steps to ensure a proper termination;
- The key differences between the Canada Labour Code and the Employment Standard Act 2000 (ESA 2000);
- Harassment and Bullying in the workplace Training;
- Human Rights Training as it relates to Job Description and Job Posting
See the details of the HR Training under the heading HR/ Human Resources Training Courses for Upper Management
We also offer Board Governance training non-profit organization:
See the details of Training under the heading Board Governance Training.
THE HR/HUMAN RESOURCES COURSES (WORKSHOPS) DEALING WITH EMPLOYMENTARE GEARED TO UPPER MANAGEMENT BUT CAN BE ADAPTED. You can always count on us to take the time necessary to clearly explain your case and keep you up to date on the status of your legal matter. We understand that your matter is very important to you; we always ensure that someone is available and able to dedicate the time necessary to deal with your matter in a timely fashion.
Our Timmins Law Office
In fact the law office of Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation has been proudly offering bilingual legal services in Timmins and the surrounding communities.
We offer legal representation to individuals, to both private companies and non-profit organizations, First Nation groups, and to various Boards of Directors in the areas of practice hereinbefore set out.
Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation welcomes your call or visit regardless of your legal situation or budget. Depending on the case and specific situation, we can, in some special circumstances, offer very competitive or discounted rates for our legal services.
If you require legal representation in any of our areas of practice, or wish that a workplace investigation be conducted in your workplace where you may want to claim solicitor-client privilege, do not hesitate to call Suzanne Desrosiers Professional Corporation today. Someone is standing by to assist you with your specific needs.
Communities we service:
Timmins, Cochrane, Kapuskasing, Kirkland Lake, Temiskaming Shores, Iroquois Falls, Gogama, Chapleau, Temagami First Nation, Mattagami First Nation, Wahgoshig First Nation, Constance Lake First Nation, Attawapiskat First Nation, Kashechewan First Nation, Fort Albany First Nation, Moose Cree First Nation, Taykwa Tagamou First Nation, Chapleau Cree First Nation and Missanabie First Nation, Brunswick House First Nation, Matachewan First Nation, Beaverhouse First Nation, Flying Post First Nation, all within the Province of Ontario.
We are always receptive to serving other Communities.